"All the forces of the world are not powerful enough to stop an idea whose time has come." Victor Hugo

Sunday, November 30, 2014

‘Twas the Night Before Nano (A Tribute to Another Failed Novel)



‘Twas the night before NaNo
And all through the town
All the writers were waiting
To start the word count

The outlines were done
And the Pansters prepared;
All the keyboards were set
And the pen-tips all bared

The authors were hoping
For the Muse to arrive
While visions of Best Sellers
Were not hard to derive

And I with my coffee
(With more in reserve)
Settled down at my notebook
And heard my cat purr

When on the minute before
November the First
I felt the excitement inside
‘Til my heart was fit to burst

Then the clock struck the hour
And just as planned
The race was on;
NaNoWriMo began

Through the ups of Week One
I cruised through my plot
As characters took shape,
A story was begot

All was going great
And heading down the right track
When came an unforeseen
And unfortunate setback

Its name was Week Two
And down in the mire
My mind was thrust
Without an idea to inspire

I battled the infamous
Writer’s Block
But of my injuries
I had yet to take stock

10K behind!
What a tragedy to behold
So by the end of Week Two
I was not feeling so bold

Week Three hit me
Like a blow to the heart
For the time I had lost
And the words left to start

(The musical came at a most
Inopportune time
For writing a novel was hard
With not much downtime)

In a flash Week Four arrived
Like a thief in the night
And with a glimmer of hope
I saw the end was in sight

But alas! My failure
Was imminent, I fear
For I was so far behind
And December so near

In despair I clutched
At my novel’s beginning
And knew there was no hope
Of this year’s winning

So with a grand heavy sigh
I put my book on a shelf
And tried to find a way
To be pleased with myself

Another year done
And November gone by
Without a finished manuscript
Just another failed try

But I told myself
Not to shed a tear
For this NaNo was crazy
Besides, there’s always next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment