"All the forces of the world are not powerful enough to stop an idea whose time has come." Victor Hugo

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Writing by the Dying Light of the Afternoon

The stillness of the afternoon
Is broken only by the music
Emanating from next door
Music that seems as much a part of nature
As the birdsong in the trees
A dog barks across the way
Our windchimes speak to each other
A car beeps
And all seems profoundly quiet
Barbeques and campfires
Travel past my nose
A morning dove coos
I am here
The soundscape that surrounds me
Makes up my life this afternoon
Alone, in the silence,
I sit with peace of mind
The dying light
As the sun begins to set
Casts long shadows on the table
In front of me
Still the gentle wind blows
Carrying me through my life
Wherever I may go
Never roots too deep
That prevent me from moving on
For moving on is what I do
Day after day after lifetime
Traveling wherever I feel led
Wherever I feel needed
Not even this canvas hammock
Hanging between two beams of the house
Could keep me here
For I am destined to wander
Destined to leave
The road not traveled by me
Will take me far away
For I know not where I’m going
Tossed by the waves of the sea
My little lifeboat reels in fear
At the ever-crashing crests
Yet life is just a journey
Led wherever I will go
The birdsong fades down quieter
A single chirrup sung
This notebook, the pen
Me and You
All here together and waiting

No comments:

Post a Comment