"All the forces of the world are not powerful enough to stop an idea whose time has come." Victor Hugo

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Stormy Gold

This post has a little story behind it.  My dad is currently preparing for an interview to be a 5th grade teacher, and in an effort to find a suitable "lesson" to teach to his interviewers, he has been looking for inspiration in the world around him.  Well, the world is currently involved in the biggest international sports event there is: the Olympics.  By searching for a subject to teach on, my dad has inspired me by some of his ideas.  So, thanks in advance for this great prompt!

Prompt: How would it feel to be standing on the podium receiving a gold medal in the Olympics?

I take a step into the room and a roar greets me.  It is as deafening as thunder.  The bright lights of the room are blinding, like lightning, and I can imagine I’m in the middle of a storm.  That isn’t too hard to believe: just hours ago wasn’t I drenched to the bone while making a mad dash for the gold?  The pool isn’t so different from rainclouds.


I take the step up that will elevate me above the other two medalists.  As the strap is placed around my neck, I feel myself swelling with pride at what I have accomplished for my country.  I listen, although it is no longer thunder I hear but birdsong, the ballad of my nation.  The storm is over; I’ve made it.  The camera flashes glitter like raindrops on the landscape.  I take a deep breath, inhaling the air of victory.  It smells sweet like the earth after a rain.  I raise my arms, smile, and know that this golden sunlight is where I truly belong.


1 comment:

  1. I am glad you were inspired by me, but I must say that it was returned threefold.

    ReplyDelete